https://askubuntu.com/questions/990970/how-to-install-hplip-3-17-11
-under-ubuntu-17-10-for-hp-officejet-pro-8720

I'm using Ubuntu 17.10

According to the release notes https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-
imaging-and-printing/release_notes I need hplip 3.17.11.

When I install hplip from using apt-get I get the following error when I
execute hp-check:

The error is the following (distro not supported) File
"/usr/share/hplip/installer/core_install.py", line 475, in init
self.distro_name = self.distros_index[self.distro]

I've tried installing from the shell installer with the following:

error: Configure failed with error: libnetsnmp not found

When I do the following:

sudo apt-get install libsnmp-dev

I get

libsnmp-dev is already the newest version (5.7.3+dfsg-1.7ubuntu1)

And apt is an older version

apt-cache policy hplip
hplip:
  Installed: 3.17.7+repack0-3
  Candidate: 3.17.7+repack0-3
  Version table:
 *** 3.17.7+repack0-3 500
      500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main amd64 Packages
      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Anyone have any ideas on how I can install and/or debug this?

** Affects: hplip (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment
--
hplip under Ubuntu 17.10 for HP OfficeJet Pro 8720
Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.