This bug is still a major annoyance.  It would be really nice to solve
this for 18.04 (Bionic).

GNOME has recently removed the desktop code from Nautilus, so it seems
very unlikely that this will be solved upstream.  So presumably someone
from Canonical or a community volunteer will need to fix this.

  can't drag file from desktop to folder window on Artful

Status in Nautilus:
  Confirmed
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  I'm running Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful).  If I create a text file on my
  desktop and then attempt to drag it into a Nautilus folder window, it
  fails: when I release the mouse cursor over the folder window nothing
  happens and the file is not moved.