In reference to number 2 above. I went back and reread the help manual.
I now see that when selecting Save As from the File menu, Templates
shows up as one of my places (I use Thunar file manager and it shows on
the left). When selected, it appears to save the file in
/usr/share/inkscape/templates/ folder. Again, this was not super obvious
because my eyes don't always look at the places option when saving a
file. I compared some other software packages to see how they handle
this:

LibreOffice - Save as dialog has the option to save the file as a
template (.ODT) the file format drop down.

Scribus - Save as Template in the File drop down menu.

Krita - Create template from image in the File drop down menu.

Gimp - Create template in the file drop down menu

It may be helpful to create an option in the File drop down menu that is
more explicit.

Packages, which is subscribed to inkscape in Ubuntu.

  Document property profiles

Status in Inkscape:
  New
Status in inkscape package in Ubuntu:

  This is less a bug and more a usability suggestion. I noticed with
  Inkscape 0.92, display and measurement units default to mm instead of
  pixels. Previous versions defaulted to pixels, if I remember right. I
  rarely use mm in my work, so I have to change this every time. There
  is no way that I know to change the default document properties.

  Each time a new Inkscape document is opened, I have to select the
  properties required for the project. If I create multiple documents
  that require the same properties, I still have to go through the same
  selection process each time. It would save time if I could create a
  document property profile to save for future use. If this were
  implemented, I could then open the document properties box, select the
  profile and click apply. This would improve workflow by saving extra
  clicks to setup a document.

  Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
  Inkscape 0.92.2+68~ubuntu16.04.1

  I expected the default units to be pixels. Instead they were mm. This
  caused unexpected dimensions in my drawing until I realized the
  default units were different in Inkscape 0.92 from previous versions.
  There is currently no way that I know to change the default document
  properties.