Public bug reported:

After applying daily updates, libreoffice was updated to 5.4.5.1   After
the upgrade, TexMaths ceased to function.

Would return an error of "Can't find the external program latex
Please check the paths in your TexMaths system configuration..."

Paths checked out fine (/usr/bin)   Confirmed latex is still in
/usr/bin.

Attempted to just reset the paths for latex and dvipng and dvisvgm to
/usr/bin and Save in the TexMaths dialog

Got the following errors
"The program latex is not located in /usr/bin/"    ...   which is not true

Would not let me save or exit the dialog box.  Tried a variety of
different mods to path (with leading / and without . .  with trailing /
and without) thinking it might be a small path parsing bug.  No effect.
Finally had to x out the dialog.  Then received

"Can't find at least one of the external programs dvipng or dvisvgm
Please check the paths in your TexMaths system configuration"   and had to go
through the same dialog game.

Updated the TexMaths extension to 0.44 but no change.

Upon searching the bug tracker, it appears there is a FS bug that
someone ran into.  Maybe this is related?

I can open old files, edit them, etc.  But I can't modify any of my
embedded latex equations.  Given that I'm a math instructor and use this
to write my lessons quizzes and exams.  This is a really critical bug
for me.

I'm pretty much dead in the water at the moment without this
functionality.

Package: libreoffice-writer 1:5.4.5-0ubuntu0.17.10.1
ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME