If I had to guess, I would guess that Eclipse is using a software-
rendered toolkit. And those are particularly expensive to render in
Gnome Shell. The reason why nobody has paid much attention to such bugs
so far is that the problem is pretty uncommon. You need both a software-
rendered toolkit, AND an app that redraws constantly.

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: performance

** Summary changed:

- Gnome-shell cpu load dramatically high and stuck high with Eclipse
+ Gnome-shell CPU load dramatically high and stuck high with Eclipse

  Gnome-shell CPU load dramatically high and stuck high with Eclipse

  Hello,

  I recently upgraded Ubuntu from 16.04 to 17.10. Since I did, I cannot use
Eclipse any more.
  I can start Eclipse, but as soon as I try to de-maximize it, gnome-shell CPU
load raises to 80%-95% and remains that level. I ¥t sometimes drops a bit down
to 70% but still keeps high and blocks everything. Even if by chance and
patience I succeed closing Eclipse, the CPU load keeps high.
  Until now I found no way to recover.

  Ubuntu 17.10
  Gnome 3.26.2
  Runs in Virtual box
  Core i7x2
  8 GB RAM

  Eclipse Photon 4.8 M6
  But same happened with Oyxgen 4.7.2

  Other info needed, please let me know... not sure how to circle this closer.
Once it happens, it's over .
  ---
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
  Architecture: amd64
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20160217.1)
  Package: gnome-shell 3.26.2-0ubuntu0.1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  Tags:  artful
  Uname: Linux 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to artful on 2018-01-18 (60 days ago)
  UserGroups:

  _MarkForUpload: True