BTW, do you have any idea when this fix will go into the daily built?
Really look forward to testing it!

Also, when I click on the "manage installed language" dialog bar, I would
be prompted to install "kde-config-fcitx".  This is unnecessary and clearly
is a bug and should be removed.

Thanks again!

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 8:27 PM, Launchpad Bug Tracker <
1756...@bugs.launchpad.net> wrote:

> This bug was fixed in the package gnome-settings-daemon -
> 3.28.0-0ubuntu2
>
> ---------------
> gnome-settings-daemon (3.28.0-0ubuntu2) bionic; urgency=medium
>
>   * debian/patches/ubuntu_ibus_configs.patch:
>     - libpinyin instead of sunpinyin for zh_CN (LP: #1756205)
>
>  -- Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunna...@ubuntu.com>  Sun, 25 Mar 2018 05:16:00
> +0100
>
> ** Changed in: gnome-settings-daemon (Ubuntu)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1756205
>
> Title:
>   Can't input Chinese characters in daily built
>
> Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:
>   Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
>   OS: Ubuntu 18.04 Daily Built 2018-03-08.
>
>   As reported in the Ubuntu Chinese forum (in Chinese):
>
>   http://forum.ubuntu.com.cn/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=486823
>
>   users cannot input Chinese characters.
>
>   It appears the daily built uses sunpinyin as the default Chinese input
>   method.  But sunpinyin is not included in the iso.
>
>   Sunpinyin has not been maintained for at least a couple of years;
>   several problems have been reported associated therewith but remain
>   unsolved, and it doesn't appear that the problems will be solved any
>   time soon.
>
>   Ibus-libpinyin has been working very smoothly inside Bionic.  Its
>   frequency table regarding single words can be improved, but it works
>   very well for phrases.
>
>   I suggest we change the default Chinese input method from sunpinyin to
>   libpinyin (i.e., intelligent pinyin).
>
>   This is an urgent matter.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-
> daemon/+bug/1756205/+subscriptions

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.