I used `sudo nautilus` to create a folder called roottest in ~. I gave
my user group ('adam') the 'Create and delete files' permission, and I'm
able to make new folders within the root-owned folder as expected.

I'm on Files 3.26 in Ubuntu 17.10.

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  nautilus greys out valid options

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  When you are in a group that has full rights to edit files, but you
  are not the owner, the "Create File/Folder" options are greyed out in
  Nautilus although they shouldn't be. Despite being greyed out,
  clicking them does still work though.

  Practical example: the /var/www sub-folders belong to www-data:www-
  data and file permissions are set to 775. I add the regular user to
  that group to be able to edit files without requiring root access. He
  can now edit files and create folders, but the Nautilus buttons do not
  indicate this.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.4.0-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  Date: Thu Apr 12 13:57:39 2012
  GsettingsChanges:
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state geometry '934x665+2104+146'
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state sidebar-width 168
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state start-with-status-bar true
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64 (20120301)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash