I noticed that Thunderbird was upgraded to 52.7 in the 18.04 release,
but for some reason the problem still exists (compact folder missing
from the folder menu) and still works consistantly for me under Ubuntu
14.04.  I'm not sure why.  I'm planning to upgrade my IMAP server and
hoping that will resolve the issue.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

   thunderbird 52.6.0/18.04 beta compact folder broken

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Under Thunderbird 52.6.0/Ubuntu 18.04 latest beta, when I connect to
  an IMAP server running Dovecot dovecot-1.0.7-9.el5_11.4 the compact
  command is missing from the individual folder menus. Works fine when I
  connect to Gmail's IMAP server.

  Thunderbird 52.7.0 under Ubuntu 14.04 does not have this issue. I
  notice that the version of Thunderbird under 18.04 is actually older
  than the version under 14.04.

  I sugguest an update to a more recent and stable release of
  Thunderbird before the final release date.

  Thank You,
  Nataraj