Bob, I think you want bug 1765261, not this one.

  Blocked at gdm login screen on 18.04 if user password has a circumflex
  accent

Status in GNOME Shell:
  Unknown

  Hi,

  I have a bug since the recent updates on Ubuntu 18.04 (post 10th
  March): when the user password contains a circumflex accent, like "û",
  access is denied even if password entered is correct and I stay
  blocked in a loop at gdm login screen - error message (translated from
  French): "Sorry, it doesn't work, please try again".

  Even after modifying it on recovery mode with passwd without û, it
  stays blocked. Only way to solve it is to reinstall.

  Graphic card: [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7 250X]
  Kernel driver in use: radeon
  Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

  Steps to reproduce :

  I did a fresh and new install with 18.04 daily iso from 21st March,
  formatting / and /home with following user password:

  Ubuntu42

  At startup, I could log successfully both on Xorg and Wayland sessions. Then
I modified and tested those passwords, with all of them I could again boot and
connect, on Xorg and Wayland:
  ArchLinux43
  LinuxMint@28
  KDENeon=51
  Fedora_1984

  But the last one made me blocked at the gdm login screen:

  Debianû74

  Here unable to modify it on recovery session, error message in French:
  "erreur de manipulation du jeton d'authentification".

  Also unable to launch terminal: CTRl Alt F1 refreshes the screen, but
  F2, F3... F12 freezes it! I only can update in chroot with lie USB.

  I had to again format and reinstall, with a password without any
  circumflex accent.

  How and when I discovered it :

  On 10th March, I ran since many weeks the alpha version of Ubuntu
  18.04, with a password having a "û" inside, which had always worked
  fine. I did an update, cumulating the last 3 weeks before.

  On next startup, when I typed my password, both on Xorg and Wayland
  sessions, no error message but no desktop, nothing appeared but a few
  seconds later I was back on login screen.

  I could well log in on terminal (Ctrl Alt F2) or chroot with a live
  USB, and do the last updates in the next days, but nothing changed.

  On console, if I ran "startx" I got the message "timeout in locking
  authority file" and "fatal server error: cannot open log file
  ./local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

  Both / and /home were not full - more than 60% space available,
  verified with df -Th ; echo ; df -Ti

  I tried to reinstall Ubuntu with daily live of 15th March, formatting
  / but not /home as it was protected by ecryptfs and I didn't save some
  files, using same user name and password, still blocked.

  So I copied the /home and .Private folders to another disk to try
  later recover them, reinstall again, formatting both / and /home,
  always with my usual password having a "û" (I verified French
  language, keyboard with French activated, upper case, symbols... OK).

  This time, again both for Xorg or Wayland sessions, at gdm login I did
  not success to connect, I got an error message "Désolé ça n'a pas
  fonctionné, veuillez réessayer",

  I tried to modify the password in recovery mode, with no special
  characters nor accents, but still blocked at gdm. And no terminal
  available with Ctrl Alt F2...

  On 23rd March, I re-reinstalled all Ubuntu, formatting / and /home,
  this time with daily iso from 21st March, but with a modification: to
  avoid any misconfiguration with languages on live USB, I chose a very
  easy password, only with normal letters and numbers.

  On startup, yes, finally I could log at gdm on default Xorg session
  and enter desktop !

  I went to my user configuration, changed to put my usual password
  (with an "û"), and bam, back to the future, still blocked at gdm
  screen on restart, either on Xorg or Wayland, Ctr Alt F2 not working.

  It made me understand that the bug came from a special character in my
  password, then I tried the different ones explained on top of this
  report to discover it was "û".