I have tried switching theme/icon theme. Does not work. After some
googling though I came up with a workaround: Open GNOME Tweaks / Top Bar
and switch on/off the "Application Menu". This did the trick for me.

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  Gedit menu button disappear (17.10)

Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:

  The menu button of Gedit somehow disappeared (see attached
  screenshot). This happens only to one user (myself) on the system with
  Xorg, as it appears normally in my wife's account on the same
  computer, as well as on root. On Wayland, the button is there, but
  many options are missing (like the Preferences).

  I have tried deleting several config files, including ~/.config/gedit,
  login/logout and rebooting without success. Also, I found some bug
  reports about previous versions that suggested that a similar behavior
  might randomly appear, but in my case this is consistent. Also,
  although I use Gedit on a daily basis, I do not recall when exactly
  this happened.

  gedit - Version 3.22.1
  Ubuntu 17.10 (with all packages up-to-date)

  Any ideas?