Public bug reported:

Ubuntu 18.04 defaults to setting the secondary (right) click on a
touchpad to two-finger mode rather than the more common left and right
buttons.

It took me a while to figure out what was going on and how to fix it,
having found this page explaining the situation:

https://itsfoss.com/fix-right-click-touchpad-ubuntu/

There are two separate but closely related issues, either or both of
which may constitute a bug.

1. When GNOME was installed prior to the upgrade to 18.04, the prior
setting should be respected rather than reset to default. I simply lost
the ability to secondary (right) click from the touchpad with no notice.
Both left and right buttons acted as primary clicks.

2. My touchpad (Acer V3-574) has hardware left and right buttons, and my
understanding from the documentation is that the two-finger method
should not be enabled in that case. I was unable to get the two-finger
method to work.

** Affects: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  Upgrade to 18.04 resets touchpad behavior to default, overriding
  existing GNOME settings