Some additional information.

As an experiment, I tried burning a cd with the write directly to the cd
option unchecked. The files (mp3) seemed to transcode okay but when the
time came to write the cd, it was ejected and the write failed. I am
attaching the session log.

** Attachment added: "brasero-session.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/brasero/+bug/1770502/+attachment/5137473/+files/brasero-session.log

Packages, which is subscribed to brasero in Ubuntu.

  Brasero hangs when burning cds

Status in brasero package in Ubuntu:

  Brasero hangs at the "starting recording..." status box and the
  progress bar freezes. Nothing is written to the disc. I did not have
  this problem prior to upgrading to 18.04.

  Package: brasero 3.12.1-4ubuntu2
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Thu May 10 17:11:18 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64 (20180426)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>