I have the same issue. Ubuntu 18.04 with Nvidia 1070 MaxQ GPU. Have switched to
intel GPU but still powerdrain is enormous so obvioulsy the nvidia card is
still in use.
Powertop show me that the network interfaces wlp3s0 (iwlwifi) drains around 14W
which cannot be true. So it also can't detect that its the nvidia card.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-prime can't switch off the discrete GPU

Status in nvidia-prime package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in nvidia-settings package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ubuntu-drivers-common package in Ubuntu:

  nvidia-prime used to be able to switch off and on NVIDIA dGPU. Now, a
  change in the nvidia packaging, and a change of behaviour in logind,
  broke this feature.