Assuming this is fixed in Ubuntu 18.04 and Cosmic. Please change back to
New if you can reproduce this bug there.

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  The command 'Make Link' creates multiple file copies

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  (Note:- 64bit 12.04 ubuntu (and variants of it) do not exist!
  So I have had to say that I don't know where I found the bug.)

  This looks like a serious bug to me - others have confirmed this by repeating
the test below:
  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12296573#post12296573
  ***********

  Try to make a document link:

  Open Gedit - copy and paste a few bytes of text - save as 'AA-test' in your
document dir.
  Open Nautilus and check your doc dir - yes it's there.

  Rclick it - 'make link'.

  What you now see is a new file called 'Link to AA-test ' - both are
  the same file size.

  Dclick the 'Link to' file and delete a couple of bytes (2 characters),
  and save.

  My sys is set to make bakups, so I now see:

  Link To AA-test~_____ 945bytes
  AA-test____________   943bytes
  Link To AA-test______ 945bytes

  The above is clearly incorrect cos my bakup file is called 'Link To'

  Now open 'AA-test' directly, and delete 2 more characters and save.
  I now see:

  AA-test____________   941bytes
  Link To AA-test~_____ 945bytes
  AA-test~___________   943bytes
  Link To AA-test______ 945bytes

  It seems conclusive that 'make Link' is not functioning correctly.
  Further tests can be made, eg. rename 'Link To' - 'Linq To'.
  When you load it in Gedit, top-left informs you are working on 'Linq To
AA-test'.

  Apart from this being confusing...... it looks like instead of having
  a small link file, my doc, and my bakup doc......... I now have 4 full
  size docs wasting space on my HDisk.

  This is surely a bug no?