Same problem here. My complete shell is stuck just because of one, un-
closeable modal dialog whose cancel button isn't working.

  Attached encrypted USB drive gets stuck in password prompt

  I used the standard tools in Ubuntu 16 to format and encrypt a large
  USB hard drive for storing secure backups to. I then used that drive
  with the standard "Backups" tool to capture periodic backups.

  My hard drive recently died, forcing me to re-install Ubuntu 16. The
  re-install went well, but when I tried to attach the drive to restore
  my personal files, a modal appeared, prompting me to enter my
  password.

  So I did. And then it prompted me again. I thought I'd mistyped my
  password, so I re-entered it, making sure my caplocks or numlock key
  weren't on, but again, it prompted me. After each prompt, the full-
  screen modal darkened the background until after a dozen attempts, my
  background was almost completely black. I suspect what's going on is
  something's trying to access the encrypted disk while I'm typing in
  the password, and each access is triggering another prompt,
  effectively locking me out of the system because it's impossible for
  me to enter a nearly infinite series of prompts.

  This bug is a huge problem for two reasons:

  1. it locks you out of your computer
  2. it prevents you from accessing secure storage and restoring your system

  I managed to partially workaround #1 by switching to a terminal and
  running `export DISPLAY=:0; gnome-shell --replace`. That caused Gnome
  to reload, which minimized the modal program, allowing me to kill it
  in the app thumbnail view.

  However, that's a huge hassle, and I'm still unable to access any data
  on encrypted USB drives, even when I enter the password correctly.
  Please advise.

  I don't know exactly what component to file this bug under, so I chose
  "gnome-shell". Please re-tag it if this is incorrect.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.18.5-0ubuntu0.3
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.15
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Apr  6 00:26:33 2018
  DisplayManager: lightdm
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell