I have confirmed that this a user issue rather than a bug. I was able to
get the scanner to work if you properly perform the procedure and remove
the white background piece. It unlatches and can be removed.

** Changed in: sane-backends (Ubuntu)

** Converted to question:
   https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+question/669402

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  "Operation was cancelled" when trying to use Transparency Unit in
  Canon 9000F Mark II

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I'm trying to scan foto negatives using this command (that used to
  work in previous Ubuntu versions):

      scanimage --device-name pixma:04A9190D --source "Transparency
  Unit" --resolution "2400" --format "tiff" --mode Color -l 76 -x 66  >
  test.tiff

  But I get this error:

      scanimage: sane_read: Operation was cancelled

  Note: scanning regular images (using the Flatbed source) works fine.

  My current ubuntu verison is Ubuntu 17.10