Correction:  ...I had the same problem with Ubuntu 17.10...

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  HP Laserjet M1212nf MFP also affected

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:

  Scanimage -L returns:

  device `hpaio:/net/HP_LaserJet_Professional_M1212nf_MFP?zc=NPI6A5943' is a
Hewlett-Packard HP_LaserJet_Professional_M1212nf_MFP all-in-one
    as it always has when it was working.

  Had the same problem in the beginning with Ubuntu 17.04, but then
  somewhere along the correction stream it got magically "fixed" and
  started working with simple-scan as well as xsane.

  Using a dual boot to the current version allowed by the ARCH
  developers, the scanner has, and still does, work.  I do a pacman -Syu
  on ARCH at least once a week, so I can attest to  the "current"
  version of ARCH.