Oh, thanks for the hint. I didn't know that this module was loaded. But
then the behavior of the module-switch-on-connect module is somehow
inconsistent. The USB headset is always attached to the computer
(wireless USB receiver) so there should be no reason that pulse should
select that one over the onboard sink (considering that I had selected
the onboard sink as default before). Also network sinks should not
really be preferred via that module (that just doesn't seem right to
me).

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Pulse audio does not remember default sink

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  It seems like pulseaudio is picking the wrong audio sink as a default
  in different scenarios.

  On my computer I have the default onboard Intel HDA audio as well as a
  USB headset. On the network, there is one pulse instance advertising
  itself.

  I always set the onboard audio as the default audio sink. However,
  after every reboot or resume or `pulseaudio -k`, the wrong sink is
  picked (and the one I set previously is *not* picked).

  When I enable discovery of remote pulse instances, sometimes the one
  on my network is picked as default, but sometimes my headset is picked
  instead of the onboard sink. Then again, if I disable discovery
  sometimes the onboard sink gets picked as default. There seems to be
  no clear pattern on when it selects what.

  I have even entered the following in /etc/pulse/default.pa:

  set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
  set-default-source
alsa_input.usb-SteelSeries_SteelSeries_Arctis_7-00.analog-mono

  But this doesn't have any effect at all.

  I also noticed that *sometimes*, pulse updates the file at
  `~/.config/pulse/f8a78acf499a402aa80f90af9ef5c15c-default-sink` to
  point to the correct audio sink that I selected in `pavucontrol`, but
  not always. Even if I write to that file manually to select a default
  sink, the file gets overwritten by pulse on the next start with the
  default sink that it chose.

  Package: pulseaudio 1:11.1-1ubuntu7
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair nvidia_modeset
nvidia
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  devkid     3487 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC2:  devkid     3487 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   devkid     3487 F...m pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  devkid     3487 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: MATE