** Changed in: oem-priority/xenial

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Some PCs still turn off the backlight by zero brightness even when the
  maximum brightness level is less than 100

Status in OEM Priority Project:
  Triaged
Status in OEM Priority Project xenial series:
  Triaged
Status in Unity Settings Daemon:
  Confirmed
Status in unity-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:

  Need to have fix in Bionic, better to have it in xenial.

  The minimum brightness of the laptop screen panel may not be realistic
  sometimes especially when having a problematic screen panel.

  For example, Dell Precision 5720 AIO only has 9 levels in
  /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness because the wrong
  settings in VBIOS. It is an all-in-one desktop PC and there is no
  brightness hotkey to control the backlight. When we set 0 to
  /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness, it turns off the
  panel's backlight and there is no way to brightness up the backlight
  again so we can only avoid using 0 as the minimum backlight level.