Hello Chris,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with Thunderbird.

You made this bug report in 2011 and there have been several versions of
Ubuntu and Thunderbird since then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the
ticket?
Or, if it is still a problem, could you run the following (only once):
apport-collect 722659

and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for
this particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu and Thunderbird better.

** Changed in: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Adding a newsgroup account confuses account management.

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  I added a newsgroup account to thunderbird (specifically, the nintendo
developer server). In the main view, the account shows up only with the icon,
not any further details (normally it would include the server name). I tried to
click on the account, then on "View Settings for this account", but the
"Account Settings" window only shows no details.

  Bear with me now, because this is where it gets weird.

  There's an empty entry in the list of accounts (still in the "Account
  Settings" window). When I click that the window shows the main view of
  thunderbird (menu, folder view, message list, message pane) in the
  right pane where you would normally see the details for "Server
  Settings", "Security", etc. After clicking on the empty entry,
  clicking on my other accounts' "Server Settings" shows the following
  in the right-hand panel:

  XML Parsing Error: no element found
  Location: chrome://messenger/content/am-server.xul
  Line Number 1, Column 1:

  Also, I can't remove the account anymore either, because the action is
  grayed out in the "Account Actions" list.

  Package: thunderbird 3.1.7+build3+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1 [modified:
usr/lib/thunderbird-3.1.7/mozilla-xremote-client
usr/lib/thunderbird-3.1.7/tb-beta-profile-migration-dialog]
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-27.47-generic 2.6.35.11
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-27-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Mon Feb 21 10:15:59 2011