I did check the shell behavior without the extensions, and it is very similar.
The only difference is that natively the workspaces are stacked, so there is no
more the issue with the size of the panel, but the one with the border is still
there.
I submitted the bug to the shell developers as this address (#457):
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/457

  workspace side selector not properly rendered

  After upgrading Ubuntu to 18.04 the workspace selector, show on the
  side of the shell is not properly rendered. The panel takes the whole
  right side, independent from the number of workspaces I chose and the
  colored border around the active one is offset. The first time I open
  the shell the border highlight the proper box, the is set to the top
  left corner of the panel. I am attaching a picture showing the issue.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.28.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Tue Jul 31 09:57:01 2018
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  GsettingsChanges:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160421)
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-07-24 (6 days ago)