The widelands package/metadata needs fixing for it to appear. See
http://appstream.ubuntu.com/cosmic/universe/issues/widelands.html

** Changed in: gnome-software (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: widelands (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Widelands package from Universe is not in the Software Center

Status in widelands:
  New
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in widelands package in Ubuntu:

  Hi, I'm one of the developers of the Widelands game. It has landed in
  Universe:

  https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=widelands

  The packages are also available in Debian stable:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=widelands&searchon=names&suite=stretch&section=all

  However, nobody can see it in the software center. Is there anything
  else I can do myself to get this in and then to maintain it in the
  future?

  The game consists of 2 packages, widelands and widelands-data.

  Thanks!