Hello Nick,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with hplip.  You made
this bug report some time ago and Ubuntu and hplip have been updated since
then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the
ticket?
If it is still a problem, are you still interested in finding a solution to
this bug?
If you are, could you let us know and, in the current version, could you run
the following (only once):
apport-collect 883825
and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for this
particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu and hplip better.
[Ubuntu Bug Squad volunteer triager]

** Changed in: hplip (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.

  double-sided printing problems HP Laserjet P1005

Status in HPLIP:
  Invalid
Status in hplip package in Ubuntu:

  The double-sided printing for this printer had been working, but has
  stopped working sometime after the last successful double-sided
  printing job on Thursday 20 October 2011.

  Using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - the Lucid Lynx, and (apt-cache policy cups)
  Installed: 1.4.3-1ubuntu1.5.

  Steps to reproduce problem:
  1. While displaying the file AmendmentRequest.pdf (using Evince Document
Viewer 2.30.3) I choose File->Printing.
  2. I choose the HP LaserJet P1005 printer, and in Page Setup I choose
Two-sided=Long Edge (standard), Paper size=A4, then I press print.
  3. I expect to see pages 1 and 3 come out from the printer, then I expect the
printer to halt (red flashing light). I would normally take the the output and
put it back in the tray, then lift the lid and put it back down. I expect the
printer to print a blank page (on the back of p3), and then p2 (on the back of
p1), then return to idle. Then I can remove the output.
  4. But what happens instead is that I get three pages as follows: page 1 in
the file prints first, then page 3 in the file prints next, then a blank page
prints. The printer never halts, and page 2 never appears.
  5. The same thing happened to a 3-page Open-office writer (odt) document, on
a different userid on the same system.
  6. All is OK if I choose single-side printing. Or if I only print a single
page.

  I have then done some diagnostics. In system-config-printer 1.2.0 ...
  I switched on "save debugging information for troubleshooting", and
  then put the printer on hold (untick "enabled"), then printed the PDF
  file again. I then copied the file from /var/spool/cups and renamed it
  as printout.pdf, and also copied the /var/log/cups/error_log file. As
  a separate exercise, I also invoked the Help->Troubleshoot from
  system-config-printer, and printed the same file again. The file it
  produced is called troubleshoot.txt.

  I then combined all files into one .tar.gz patch and uploaded it as an
attachment. It contains
  * AmendmentRequest.pdf - the original file that I'm printing
  * error_log - from /var/log/cups
  * printout.pdf - the renamed file from /var/spool/cups
  * troubleshoot.txt - file from system-config-printer's troubleshooting
procedure.