Please:

1. Reproduce the problem again, and then
2. Log into a VT (Ctrl+Alt+F4)
3. Save the latest system log by running:
    journalctl -b > journal.txt
4. As soon as you can after that, attach the file 'journal.txt' from your home
directory to this bug.

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm3 in Ubuntu.

  Unable to return from lock screen

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:

  Yesterday I upgraded from Ubuntu 16.4 LTS to Ubuntu 18.4 LTS.  Now,
  whenever my computer goes to the lock screen (either by manually
  locking, or timeout), I cannot return.

  I see the date/time and notifications on the lock screen, I can drag
  up or press a key to see the password prompt.  I can type my password
  and submit it either by pressing enter or clicking 'Next'.  However,
  once I submit my password, authentication fails.  Then if I try again,
  it doesn't accept any keystrokes, even if I click the password field.
  I CAN try again if I click Cancel.  However, authentication always
  fails.  I can "pause"/sleep my computer (using the menu in the upper
  right) and return, but I'm still in an endless login loop.  Rebooting
  from this screen is not an option (except via power cycling the
  computer).

  If I choose to "log in as another user", then click myself, I get a
  mostly-empty screen: It has the status bar at the top and is the
  classic ubuntu purple, but otherwise blank.  But at this point all I
  can do is reboot (shutdown/reboot is available from here) or choose
  another user.  i.e. I still can't return to my current session.

  Please help!  This is driving me nuts:  I have to reboot every time I
  want to use my computer after a 5+ minute pause.

  Package: gdm3 3.28.2-0ubuntu1.4
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Sep  2 12:19:49 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Beta amd64 (20160323)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gdm3
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-09-02 (0 days ago)
  mtime.conffile..etc.gdm3.custom.conf: 2018-09-02T12:13:20.375057