I am renaming all "evolution" folders in ~.config ~.cache and
~.local/share to see if that fixes the behavior.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-calendar in Ubuntu.

  gnome-calendar fails to sync, update, or cache

Status in gnome-calendar package in Ubuntu:

  Not sure if this is three different bugs or three symptoms of the same
  problem, but I am observing three different problematic behaviors on a
  fresh 18.04.1 install with latest updates:

  1. Failure to sync: I have all my online google accounts active, but
  the calendar does not seem to grab new events from the online
  database. Nor does it transmit new events to the online database. Nor
  does it do any of these things when manually selecting the
  "synchronize" option under the menu.

  2. Failure to update: I cannot manually add new events to the
  calendar. Although the app appears fully interactive, none of my
  interactions (e.g., adding an event) seem to actually get entered into
  the calendar, even locally.

  3. Failure to cache: I have many local calendars displayed that the
  calendar app has appeared to pick up from other applications' data. I
  try to manually remove them by opening the calendars display, clicking
  on the calendar and clicking "remove." This appears to remove the
  calendar from this menu, but it doesn't remove it from being
  displayable. When I close and re-open the application, the local
  calendars have reappeared. Also, I cannot permanently rename
  calendars. When I close the app and re-open it, the calendar name has
  reverted to its original state.

  This might be related in part to another issue, where I have my
  UbuntuOne account active, but still get prompted regularly for my
  username and password from various programs.

  Package: gnome-calendar 3.28.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: kpatch_livepatch_Ubuntu_4_15_0_29_31_generic_42
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Sep 15 15:06:10 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  SourcePackage: gnome-calendar