This is not an issue with the postgresql packages shipped with Ubuntu:

trusty:
ubuntu@trusty-pgsql:~$ psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 9.3.24
ubuntu@trusty-pgsql:~$ l /etc/postgresql/9.3/main/postgresql.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres 20K Oct 18 17:59
/etc/postgresql/9.3/main/postgresql.conf
ubuntu@trusty-pgsql:~$

xenial:
ubuntu@xenial-pgsql:~$ psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 9.5.14
ubuntu@xenial-pgsql:~$ l /etc/postgresql/9.5/main/postgresql.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres 21K Oct 18 18:01
/etc/postgresql/9.5/main/postgresql.conf

bionic:
ubuntu@bionic-pgsql:~$ psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 10.5 (Ubuntu 10.5-0ubuntu0.18.04)
ubuntu@bionic-pgsql:~$ l /etc/postgresql/10/main/postgresql.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 postgres postgres 23K Oct 18 18:01
/etc/postgresql/10/main/postgresql.conf

I suggest you take this up to the pgdg apt repository maintainers.

Since I don't see evidence of a defect in Ubuntu packaging, I'll mark
this bug as invalid. If you think that's incorrect, please reopen it
with a comment stating the reasoning.

Thanks!

** Changed in: postgresql-common (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to postgresql-common in Ubuntu.

  psql requires '-h localhost' to run basic commands

Status in postgresql-common package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  We've encountered an issue where psql requires "-h localhost" to run any
  commands on PostgreSQL 10.5 machine.

  $ psql --version
  Error: Invalid data directory for cluster 10 main
  $ psql -h localhost --version
  psql (PostgreSQL) 10.5 (Ubuntu 10.5-1.pgdg14.04+1)

  The issue is resolved by adding world-read access to postgresql.conf to
  allow psql to read "data_directory", but this is something we've never had
  to do with previous postgres versions.