I have experienced this problem over the years.  I am currently seeing
it with Ubuntu 18.04.1 and Evince Document Viewer 3.28.2.

The symptoms I observe are more extensive than others have described:
When the document is opened, its window is pinned to the upper left
corner.  The window cannot be dragged out of the corner.  The window
size is also fixed, none of the edges or corners can be dragged.  None
of the buttons on the window's top bar work, so I have to press the
Super key and close Evince from the desktop.

However, I have just determined that this problem only occurs with
certain PDF's and not others.  Attached is an example PDF that causes
the problem in my hands.

** Attachment added: "PulseSensorAmpd - Schematic.pdf"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1579142/+attachment/5202733/+files/PulseSensorAmpd%20-%20Schematic.pdf

  Evince windows cannot be resized after upgrade to Xenial

  Since upgrade to Xenial, windows of evince cannot be resized on my
  machine. Windows can be maximized and restored, but windows cannot be
  resized with the mouse to arbitrary width and height. Works fine for
  windows of other applications.

  Package: evince 3.18.2-1ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.19.0-58.64~14.04.1-generic 3.19.8-ckt16
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME