This is by design.

Just use CC=clang-X or CXX=clang-X to use a different version than the
default.

** Changed in: llvm-defaults (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: llvm-toolchain-3.6 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to llvm-toolchain-3.6 in Ubuntu.

  clang-3.6 package does not install symlink

Status in llvm-defaults package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in llvm-toolchain-3.6 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  (was suggested to create this question as a bug)

  I'm a little uncertain as to whether this is a bug, or intended
  behaviour of the package. (Using Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS (Kubuntu))

  When I installed clang-3.6, it appears to (for some reason) conflict
  with the clang package from llvm-defaults, and had to remove clang and
  clang-3.4 to get 3.6 installed.

  Afterwards, /usr/bin/clang and /usr/bin/clang++ no longer exist. Is
  this because the overarching 'clang' package handles the creation of
  these symlinks? Or is this a bug with clang-3.6?

  I can obviously create my own symlink, but we have many people on different
machines, and I'm keen to upgrade to 3.6 as it appears to solve an actual bug I
had with clang-3.4 that caused the compiler to crash. I'd prefer not to have to
ask them to create the symlinks themselves.

  Thanks