Hello Lionel,
Thank you for submitting this feature/enhancement request for the hplip
package.  You made this request quite some time ago and Ubuntu has been updated
since then.

Do you think this feature/enhancement is still needed or can we close
this bug report?

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu better.
[Ubuntu Bug Squad volunteer triager]

** Changed in: hplip (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.

   Get rid of .hplip folder and follow fd.o specifications

Status in HPLIP:
  Triaged
Status in hplip package in Ubuntu:

  There should not be an .hplip folder in $HOME.

  According to Freedesktop specification it should be put in
  $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (if removing this folder will impact the user) or in
  $XDG_CACHE_HOME (if it's there only for performance reason).

  Personnally, I don't see any difference if I plug my printer after
  removing this folder so I suggest that it should be put in
  $XDG_CACHE_HOME..

  If this folder exist to permit some manual tweaks, then it should be
  put in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME but should not be created automatically.

  More infos : http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/latest/ar01s03.html

  The reason why I'm reporting this bug :
  http://ploum.frimouvy.org/?184-cleaning-user-preferences-keeping-user-data