Auctex is a package which allows in particular to preview formulas when typing
Latex under Emacs.
Under Ubuntu 18.04 LTS this is provided by package auctex.
But the previews don't appear.

I have checked on auctex site that this is a known problem of the version of
auctec used
in Ubuntu, version 11.91-1ubuntu1.

So i have removed  the auctex package and installed instead the auctex package
provided by elpa directly in my home. This one is based on a more recent
version 12.1
of auctex. Now previews work OK which confirms that the solution of the bug is
upgrade auctex.

** Affects: auctex (Ubuntu)

auctex preview doesn't work
Packages, which is subscribed to auctex in Ubuntu.