Finally, please try moving the Chrome window away from the dock on the
left so it is definitely not touching (not even the window shadow). Does
that reduce the CPU usage of gnome-shell when using Chrome?

  Gnome shell is consuming high cpu usage when running Chrome

  Today, I have installed the ubuntu 18.10 and now gnome-shell and
  chrome consuming high cpu usage (min 50%). I dont have any extensions
  enabled in chrome (Version 71.0) and opened only 5 tabs. No other
  applications are running in the system.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.30.1-2ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu13.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Dec 11 22:55:00 2018
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.shell' b'favorite-apps' redacted by apport
   b'org.gnome.desktop.interface' b'gtk-im-module' b"'gtk-im-context-simple'"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" - Release amd64
(20181017.3)
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell