Hello ethanay, or anyone else affected,

Accepted deja-dup into cosmic-proposed. The package will build now and
be available at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/deja-
dup/38.0-1ubuntu0.1 in a few hours, and then in the -proposed
repository.

Please help us by testing this new package.  See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation on how
to enable and use -proposed.  Your feedback will aid us getting this
update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug,
mentioning the version of the package you tested and change the tag from
verification-needed-cosmic to verification-done-cosmic. If it does not
fix the bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the
tag to verification-failed-cosmic. In either case, without details of
your testing we will not be able to proceed.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification .  Thank you in
advance for helping!

N.B. The updated package will be released to -updates after the bug(s)
fixed by this package have been verified and the package has been in
-proposed for a minimum of 7 days.

** Changed in: deja-dup (Ubuntu Cosmic)

** Tags added: verification-needed verification-needed-cosmic

** Changed in: deja-dup (Ubuntu Bionic)

** Tags added: verification-needed-bionic

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  Restoring from new location does not find backup files

Status in Déjà Dup:
  Fix Released
Status in deja-dup package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in deja-dup source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in deja-dup source package in Cosmic:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [Impact]

  When a user tries to restore a backup on a fresh Ubuntu install, deja-
  dup will not be able to find their backup at first.

  A workaround is to set the current backup location on the fresh
  install to the old backup location. But that's not at all an obvious
  path. A user would not normally try that.

  [Test Case]

  1. Back up some files to a temporary dir.
  2. gsettings reset-recursively org.gnome.DejaDup
  3. Try to restore from that temporary dir.

  Notice that deja-dup will complain about waiting for Google Drive to
  be set up (even though your backup drive has nothing to do with
  Google).

  [Regression Potential]

  The proposed patch mostly affects the restore dialog. Any regressions
  would likely be in that flow.

  [Original Report]

  1. I back up my computer to my external hard drive
  2. I reinstall my new distro
  3. I install deja-dup and duplicity
  4. I open deja-dup, and select restore
  5. I select my external hard drive and the restore directory
  6. Deja-dup fails with "no backup found" message and creates a new backup
directory on the hard drive

  This indicated to me that deja dup ignored the restore directory I
  entered, and instead used the default directory, which did not exist,
  hence restore fails because the backend is told to look in the wrong
  place for the backup! This seems like more a user interface issue than
  an issue with the backup.

  Here is the workflow I had to use to restore my backup:

  1. Set storage location to "local folder" and then manually navigate to the
folder on my external hard drive. If I did not do this specifically, then
backup would fail. Selecting the external hard drive directly as the device and
entering the folder in the "folder" field also fails.
  2. Select restore and again use "local folder" and manually navigate to the
folder on my external hard drive. If I instead try to use the hard drive device
listed and enter the backup folder in the "folder" field, the restore also
fails.

  This issue occurs on both Ubuntu 18.04.1 and ElementaryOS Juno.

  lsb_release -d

  dpkg-query -W deja-dup duplicity
  deja-dup      37.1-2fakesync1
  duplicity     0.7.17-0ubuntu1

  gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.DejaDup > /tmp/deja-dup.gsettings
  cat /tmp/deja-dup.gsettings
  org.gnome.DejaDup last-restore '2018-11-23T01:39:44.556645Z'
  org.gnome.DejaDup periodic true
  org.gnome.DejaDup periodic-period 1
  org.gnome.DejaDup full-backup-period 90
  org.gnome.DejaDup backend 'local'
  org.gnome.DejaDup last-run '2018-11-23T01:39:44.556645Z'
  org.gnome.DejaDup nag-check ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup prompt-check '2018-11-22T12:34:36.095106Z'
  org.gnome.DejaDup root-prompt true
  org.gnome.DejaDup include-list ['$HOME']
  org.gnome.DejaDup exclude-list ['/home/ethan/.local/share/Trash']
  org.gnome.DejaDup last-backup ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup allow-metered false
  org.gnome.DejaDup delete-after 0
  org.gnome.DejaDup.Rackspace username ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup.Rackspace container 'ethan-laptop'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.S3 id ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup.S3 bucket ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup.S3 folder 'ethan-laptop'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.OpenStack authurl ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup.OpenStack tenant ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup.OpenStack username ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup.OpenStack container 'ethan-laptop'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.GCS id ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup.GCS bucket ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup.GCS folder 'ethan-laptop'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.Local folder '/media/ethan/porta_500gb/m1330'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.Remote uri ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup.Remote folder 'ethan-laptop'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.Drive uuid '1919a422-d154-4e19-b551-f74b56cf1f0e'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.Drive icon '. GThemedIcon drive-harddisk-usb drive-harddisk
drive'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.Drive folder 'm1330'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.Drive name 'porta_500gb'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.GOA id ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup.GOA folder 'ethan-laptop'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.GOA type 'google'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.File short-name ''
  org.gnome.DejaDup.File type 'normal'
  org.gnome.DejaDup.File migrated true