...Please prove me (and Scott et al) wrong, NOT right!

This issue has just been confirmed with the latest versions and updates,
thought intermittent.
And if any issue is to be deemed invalid, as a courtesy please add
justification or references to fix/workarounds.
Otherwise, why allow and waste users' time to report bugs at all?

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  software updater presents an empty panel for updating

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in update-manager package in Ubuntu:

  1. software updater alerts me to a small update (<1Mb)
  2. click <install>
  3. software updater "does its thing"
  4. software update presents an empty panel and asks me to install or be
reminded later
  5. click <install>
  repeat

  Package: update-manager 1:16.04.12
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-38.43~16.04.1-generic 4.13.16
  Uname: Linux 4.13.0-38-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.16
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Mon Apr 23 20:55:24 2018
  ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/update-manager
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'com.ubuntu.update-manager' b'show-details' b'true'
   b'com.ubuntu.update-manager' b'window-height' b'592'
   b'com.ubuntu.update-manager' b'first-run' b'false'
   b'com.ubuntu.update-manager' b'window-width' b'484'
   b'com.ubuntu.update-manager' b'launch-time' b'int64 1524479931'
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20170801)
  InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python3.5
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: update-manager