That works fine in the current versions

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Places>Bookmarks menu fails to open nautilus if bookmarked folder has
  accented character but LC_ALL=C

Status in GNOME Panel:
  Invalid
Status in Nautilus:
  New
Status in gnome-panel package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-panel

  In an up-to-date ubuntu 9.04:

  I don't know if I have the correct package.  Here's the problem:

  I have:
    export LC_ALL=C
  in my ~/.xprofile file, so that 'ls -al' will list files in proper
alphabetical order.  '.' comes before 'a', so I want to see my dotfiles before
my regular files, not mixed together.

  I have some bookmarks in nautilus.  These show up in the
  Places>Bookmarks folder.  But for any bookmark to a folder with a non-
  ascii character in its name, clicking it from the Place>Bookmarks menu
  shows an 'opening ...' entry in the panel for a few seconds, but
  nautilus never opens a window.  If I open my home folder and then
  click the bookmark it does work however.

  Here's how to reproduce:

  1. put this line in ~/.xprofile:
  export LC_ALL=C
  then log out and in again

  2. make a directory with an accented character in its name:
  mkdir $(echo ab | tr a \\303 | tr b \\251)
  that makes a folder which shows up as 'e acute' if LC_ALL isn't set to C

  3. bookmark that directory in nautilus

  4. click the bookmark in the gnome-panel Places>Bookmark menu.

  you'll see that it tries to open the folder, but fails after a while

  5. open your home folder and try the bookmark from there - it works

  6. remove the LC_ALL=C line from ~/.xprofile, log out and in again

  7. try the bookmark again, and it works now