Do you still see that issue in newer Ubuntu versions?

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  file browsing causes memory leaks

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Hi!
  I use Gnome desktop 3.4.2 on my PC.
  I've been recently experiencing some memory leaks while browsing my computer
files. I noticed this bug first with Nautilus, then I tried using another file
manager (PCMan) and it happened again.
  What I do when this bug occurs is going into one folder and then trying to go
back to an upper  directory or another location (e.g. 'Pictures' folder,
'Music' folder; after that the system slows down, I notice my hard disk drive
is busy and sometimes get an error message for insufficient memory to generate
a report for the bug.
  To avoid this problem I'm using KDE desktop, using Dolphin as file browser.

  My computer runs Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit.

  Thanks for your help.

  UPDATE: It seems that the package nautilus is the source of the
  problem. Through System Monitor I see the application uses more than 2
  GB of RAM and causes the Swap memory to rise uncontrollably. Also when
  I use PCMan the error no longer occurs, I don't know why it happened
  before.