I'm now seeing this issue, after messing with my monitor cables.  I only
have a single monitor.  I was trying to get my DVI to work on my AMD
RX550 card - which will not display while logged in (but does at bios).

Both cables are currently plugged into the same monitor (diff ports of
course) in my attempt to switch from HDMI to DVI-D.

My ubuntu session was active in 18.04.1, and I only replugged the DVI
cable and wiggled the HDMI cable.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock in
Ubuntu.

  dock missing

Status in gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock package in Ubuntu:

  Release:      18.04
  2) $ apt-cache policy gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock
  gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock:
    Installed: 0.9.1ubuntu18.04.1
    Candidate: 0.9.1ubuntu18.04.1
    Version table: