Indeed, that seems fixed in the current Ubuntu serie but buggy in
bionic, potentially something we want to fix in a SRU

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Searching by file type doesn't work

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  When I click on searching in nautilus a down arrow appears on the
  right (next to the input field). If I click on this arrow, a pop up
  menu appears with "When" and "What" titles. Inside "What" I can choose
  file types. Choosing a certain file type nothing happens, nautilus
  shows the hits for every file type. This search option doesn't seem to
  work. (For "Full Text" see Bug #1767817)

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      18.04

  $ apt-cache policy nautilus
  nautilus: