@seb128 I have edited the bug description to provide more information on
how the issue is triggered. The bug occurs during the handoff of gdm3
---> gnome-shell(mutter?) _after_ login. The issue is repeatedly and
consistently triggered until GDM(gdm3) is replaced by LightDM(slick-
greeter) and then the issues disappears completely and the system is
works across multiple reboots or changes to the monitors.xml through the
"Displays" settings.

This is clearly related to how GDM appears to set-up or create the user
session and I would be glad to test any ideas you have to solve it while
using GDM, however---after 4-hours of messing with it, I had to go with
a solution that "Just Works":  slick-greeter or lightdm.

Please let me know what else I can provide or do to clarify this issue.

  monitors.xml is not parsed or applied correctly after reboot or
  shutdown

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:

  WORKAROUND: replace gdm3 with slick-greeter + lightdm-settings +
  gnome-screensaver + numlockx(optionally)

  TL;DR

  After a clean install of Ubuntu 18.10, connecting a FHD(1920x1080) LED
  monitor to the VGA port of a DELL Optiplex 390 desktop tower,
  connecting a wireless HDMI Tx/Rx(LKV HDbitT-4K) to the HDMI port with
  a 4K projector and then configuring the logical monitor layout in the
  "Displays" settings dialog, I can successfully create and use a multi
  monitor setup in my current session. However, upon a reboot or power
  cycle of the computer and a successful login from GDM(gdm3), the HDMI
  goes dark(blank?) and the VGA monitor shows as 'Secondary' monitor
  even though I set it as 'Primary' in the "Displays" dialog. The
  monitors.xml file, attached, shows the correct layout and survives the
  reboot without alteration. I am unable to see anything on the
  'Primary' display, which has incorrectly been given to the  HDMI
  projector. Unseating the HDMI cable does not restore the VGA to
  'Primary' display automatically and I must reboot the computer while
  leaving the HDMI unplugged in order to restore my ability to see the
  'Primary' display on the VGA connection. Replacing GDM(gdm3) with
  LightDM(slick-greeter) fixes the issue and is repeatedly provable
  through multiple reboots or changes to the logical layout of the
  screens in the 'Displays' settings of gnome-control-center.

  ERROR(syslog) = "Failed to get current display configuration state:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name
"org.gnome.Mutter.DisplayConfig" does not exist"

  gnome-shell[3007]: JS ERROR: Exception in callback for signal: loaded:
  TypeError: monitor is

null#012_prepareStartupAnimation@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/layout.js:653:17#012wrapper@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/_legacy.js:82:22#012_loadBackground/signalId<@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/layout.js:608:13#012_emit@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/signals.js:128:27#012_init/id<@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/background.js:512:17

  CAUSE = clean install of Ubuntu 18.10(4.18.0-16-generic #17-Ubuntu SMP
  Fri Feb 8 00:06:57 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux), attach
  VGA as primary monitor and HDMI(wireless Tx) as secondary to projector
  and then apply custom monitor positioning using g-c-c "Displays"
  panel.

  RESULT = correct positioning and working of multiple displays until
  reboot or shutdown and then subsequent login from gdm3, then--problems
  until HDMI cable is unseated and rebooted again.

  Package: gdm3 3.30.1-1ubuntu5.1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu13.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Mar 16 13:50:52 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" - Release amd64
(20181017.3)
  SourcePackage: gdm3