Maybe. For some reason, the top level folder for Drafts, Templates and
Junk returns "Drafts", "Templates" and "Junk" respectively in the
specialFolder variable, that is then used to determine which menuitems
to show. Inbox, Trash, Sent return "Virtual".

I would not try to understand why that is. But anyway, I can make the
"Empty trash" menuitem appear. "Empty Junk" is showing for me already.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Empty All Trash for Smart Folders

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird:
  Confirmed
Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  Add the possibility of emptying all trash by right click on the trash
  roots