Thanks

** Changed in: tracker-miners (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: tracker via
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/tracker/issues/94

Packages, which is subscribed to tracker-miners in Ubuntu.

  tracker-miner-fs brings system to its knees when indexing - scope for
  deduplicating hardlinked files?

Status in Tracker:
  Unknown
Status in tracker-miners package in Ubuntu:

  I've noticed since upgrading from 18.10 to 19.04 that tracker-miner-fs
  has been going to town on trying to index my filesystem.. so much so,
  I've had to switch off all the search options, and then switch off
  search overall, as well as call "tracker reset -r" as it seems that
  just turning off search in the settings -> search titlebar doesn't
  always take effect.

  Within my home directory, and in other parts of my filesystem, I have
  some folders that have date stamped rsync backups of remote systems.
  Between directories, identical files are hard-linked, so they're
  stored once, if the same, but listed in multiple directories if they
  existed at that time (so each folder is a ready to go "point in time"
  snapshot, but identical data is only stored once).

  I believe that tracker-miner-fs is treating each instance of a file
  listing as an independent copy because they exist in separate
  directories, even though they're hard linked, and subsequently
  processing the same files again and again and again, consuming the
  majority of IO bandwidth on my drives.

  There is the UI for Gnome tracker, but it's not that granular, with
  options for whether or not things like "Documents" are included, but
  not folders below that.

  Where this enters bug territory is that this behaviour makes the
  system unusable due to the IO load, with no visible indication of
  what's going on.

  The fixes might be feature suggestions.. Perhaps scope for:
  * A ".nomedia" or similar .file like Android that tells tracker "Do not index
this folder"?
  * Perhaps scope for tracker to keep a record of indexed inodes so it can skip
files it already knows about?
  * Flagging that indexing is taking place in notification area with ability to
stop it, if it peaks at a certain IO utilisation?