I have installed GNOME Shell 3.28.4-0ubuntu18.04.1 from proposed.

I have tested this fix by dragging an icon up and down the launched with
my finger and dropping on it on icons.  In the past I could lock up the
shell very easily.  Now I can't get it to crash at all.

Marking as verification done.

Thanks all.

** Tags removed: verification-needed verification-needed-bionic
** Tags added: verification-done verification-done-bionic

  Touching and dragging an icon on the dock blocks input to other apps

Status in gnome-shell source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in gnome-shell source package in Disco:

  [ Impact ]

  Touching and dragging an icon on the dock blocks input to other apps Edit

  [ Test case ]

  - make sure the Ubuntu dock is visible
  - Using a finger drag, for example, a LibreOffice icon up and down the dock
and then drop
    it on Nautilus.
  - When releasing the drag the icon would land back on the dock and I could
continue to use
    the desktop as usual.

  [ Regression potential ]

  Touch events could not be handled properly at all by dock

  ---

  Steps to reproduce

  In GNOME Shell, make sure the Ubuntu dock is visible
  Using a finger drag, for example, a LibreOffice icon up and down the dock and
then drop it on Nautilus.
  Notice that (sometimes?) the icon will continue to float above the dock and
that the mouse will keep the clicky-finger icon.
  Notice that you can still open Activities and launch an application
  Notice however, that you can't actually interact with the application you
have just launched

  = What I expected to happen =