@wroot, if you more carefully read my post of 2016-06-28 01:49:32 PDT
you will see that my workaround does not only prevent an error message,
but also does enable removing attachments.

I also indicated a sloppiness in TB's way of detecting that a message is
signed (when determining whether it allows to remove attachments).

The whole issue could have been solved pretty easily already some ten
years ago, but like with most other reported bugs/problems, nobody
actually takes it up.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  No more "Save all" / "detach all" / "delete all" for attachments

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird:
  Confirmed
Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  After receiving an email with more than one attachment, I have to
open/detach/save them one by one, cause "Save all" / "detach all" / "delete
all" in the GUI are not available
  This happens since version 2.0.0.18

  2) Package: Linux-Mint 5

  3) "Save all" / "detach all" / "delete all" available when right-
  klicking on an attachment

  4 )"Save all" / "detach all" / "delete all" greyed out, so not
  available

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386