Thanks for helping to resolve this problem. I've notice that it's not
just nautilus, right click menus are all other apps appear at an offset
as well. And it happens to be the offset that is the distance between
the cursor's y position and the top of the smaller monitor. Here it is
described in a picture:

https://imgur.com/uaM1KOM

I'm on X11 and gdm3 display manager.

** Summary changed:

- Right click menu on nautilus does not appear near the mouse
+ Right click menu does not appear near the mouse on multi-monitor setup

  Right click menu does not appear near the mouse on multi-monitor setup

  I have an external monitor connected to a laptop via HDMI. If I set up
  the laptop display's position like this:

  https://imgur.com/oFbqnBm

  And open a new nautilus windows on my external monitor (which I've set
  to be primary), the right click context menu appears at some weird
  y-offset from where the mouse is:

  https://imgur.com/BfxUZVU

  However, when I set the position of the second monitor like so:

  https://imgur.com/yN6VzSI

  The right click menu appears where it is supposed to be.
  ---
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
  Package: gnome-shell 3.32.1-1ubuntu1~19.04.1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  Tags:  disco
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip libvirt lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True