See my report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell-
extension-appindicator/+bug/1832793

Indeed PANEL_ICON_SIZE is the wrong way to compute the icon size.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-appindicator in
Ubuntu.

  App indicator icon size is too small

Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator package in Ubuntu:

  The Ubuntu appindicators extension scales the indicator icon to a
  smaller size than it should be.  The icon should match the sizes of
  the other icons in the top-bar.

  I tested this with package hplip-gui (version 3.17.7+repack0-3) and
  the HP icon is much smaller than it should be.

  This specific icon is /usr/share/hplip/data/images/32x32/hp_logo.png.

  I've tried replacing hp_logo.png with a 32x32 sized icon, a 22x22
  sized icon, and a 600x600 sized icon by replacing.  In all cases, the
  icon is always scaled to a specific size that is smaller and out of
  scale when compared to all of the other indicator icons (such as the
  Power, Network, and Sound indicator icons).  Note that there is NO
  empty border in the image file that would cause the circle logo to
  appear smaller when resized.

  I ~think~ the available space for the icon is obtained from
  Panel.PANEL_ICON_SIZE in indicatorStatusIcon.js.  However, I suspect
  that Panel.PANEL_ICON_SIZE returns an incorrect value or needs to be
  adjusted in some way?

  Release:      17.10

  gnome-shell-extension-appindicator:
    Installed: 17.10.1
    Candidate: 17.10.1
    Version table:
   *** 17.10.1 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main amd64 Packages
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Package: gnome-shell-extension-appindicator 17.10.1
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Sun Oct 15 21:08:24 2017
  Dependencies:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Beta amd64 (20171012)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell-extension-appindicator