I think you misunderstand me a bit.

> The issue is probably in systemd, starting up gnome-terminal (and
> presumably any other app that it starts up) with the wrong groups.

Yes gnome-terminal uses a systemd --user service to start a
terminal-server.  This terminal-server is the parrent of all shells in
a gnome-terminal for this user.

The problem is systemd --user services are designed as per-user service
not per-session[0]. As I understand the Mailinglist, there ar no plans
to change this. So a systemd --user service isn't the right tool for
this architecture of a terminal and for any other programm which should
belong to a session. Thats why I say it's a bug in gnome-terminal not
in systemd.

That systemd has no per-session services is an other problem.

[0] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-
devel/2014-March/017552.html

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  gnome-terminal drops pam_group config

Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:

  If you use pam_group to add users to a group and open gnome-terminal
  the dynamic group is lost.

  How to reproduce:

  enable pam_group
  add "*;*;*;Al0000-2400;dialout" to /etc/security/group.conf
  log in with a user which is not in the dialout group
  open gnome-terminal
  check with id if you in the dialout group

  Package: gnome-terminal 3.28.2-1ubuntu1~18.04.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.6
  Architecture: amd64