I have gained some more insight on this topic lately.

There is no "right" or "wrong" layout value in IBus plugins like these
packages. We have reasons to assume that "default" is a deliberate
decision after a trade-off between different goals. A hard coded layout
would prevent issues like the one reported in this bug report, but it
would make it harder for users who prefer some other underlying layout
when using respective input method. It seems that they preferred the
flexibilty which "default" offers.

It's worth noting that the ibus-anthy setup GUI allows the user to
specify the layout (the Typing Method tab). To me that appears to be the
optimal solution, and it's probably a good idea to encourage the
upstream developers of other input methods to do the same.

But such a change won't happen in Ubuntu only. Please submit upstream
issues if you want it to be considered by the upstream developers.

Still keeping this bug report open for now, since this discussion may be
of some interest.

** Changed in: ibus-anthy (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ibus-libpinyin (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ibus-libpinyin (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ibus-pinyin (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ibus-pinyin (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to ibus-anthy in Ubuntu.

  Switching from russian to chinese does not work

Status in ibus-anthy package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ibus-libpinyin package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ibus-pinyin package in Ubuntu:

  There are three languages installed: en, ru, chinese pinyin (adjusted
  to be switched in this exact order).

  Switching en->ru works fine.
  Next switching ru->cn leaves the keyboard in russian thus impossible to enter
chinese.

  Switching in reverse order en->cn works as expected.

  Package: ibus-pinyin 1.5.0-1ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-29.53-generic 3.13.11.2
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-29-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity