When I log in to my (regular user) account early morning, the Switch
User menu item is not present.

When I log out late in the evening, the Switch User menu item is
present.

This is reproducible day in, day out.

This is the case even on days when there are no system updates or
upgrades at all.

  Switch User menu item gone after upgrade to Ubuntu 19.04

  After today's upgrade to Ubuntu 19.04 with GNOME Shell 3.32, the
  switch user menu is gone, even though org.gnome.desktop.lockdown
  disable-user-switching is  false