Public bug reported:

I recently upgraded this laptop to 19.04 and noticed that this version
of Gedit has an invisible "no insertion zone" between the documents list
on the left and the first character (first column) of text on every
line, so that (at least on this system) there's no way to use the
mouse/trackpad pointer to click and put the insertion point BEFORE the
first character on any line. Anything to the left of the second
character turns into a "change width" cursor.

I was having to click to put the insertion point wherever it would go
(usually between the first and second character) and look on this laptop
keyboard for the arrow key, then arrow back into the first character
position.

This situation also makes it impossible to select entire lines by
clicking and dragging, because the first line will always exclude the
first character. I suppose this is the most annoying one, because if
there's a keyboard shortcut for expanding a selection I can never recall
it.

The easiest workaround I have found is to turn on the display of line numbers
= Preferences --> View --> Display Line Numbers

This gives plenty of room to click the beginning of any lines, but of
course if I'm editing prose the line numbers are a distraction.

BY THE WAY I am using the default setting "system fixed width font"
which the preferences panel describes as Ubuntu Mono 13.

Package: gedit 3.32.0-3
ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu27.1
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME