LC_NUMERIC      DEFAULT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME DEFAULT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY     DEFAULT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER        DEFAULT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME DEFAULT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS      DEFAULT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE    DEFAULT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT  DEFAULT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION       DEFAULT=en_US.UTF-8
PAPERSIZE       DEFAULT=letter

hum, that could explain where the LANGUAGE=en came from when I looked
around previously.

Would that affect clock output at all?  I'll have a look.

Just wanted to note that I have not created the .pam_environment file
and my system has gone through the loops of upgrading to Eoan from
Bionic

  Time format setting no longer applies to terminal shell

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  $ lsb_release -a
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      19.10
  Codename:     eoan
  $ dpkg -l |grep gnome-control-center
  ii  gnome-control-center                       1:3.33.90-1ubuntu2
      amd64        utilities to configure the GNOME desktop
  ii  gnome-control-center-data                  1:3.33.90-1ubuntu2
      all          configuration applets for GNOME - data files
  ii  gnome-control-center-faces                 1:3.33.90-1ubuntu2
      all          utilities to configure the GNOME desktop - faces images

  After a recent change in Eoan, I believe it was glibc, the Time Format
  selector between 24-hour and 12-hour no longer applies to the
  terminal.

  I would like my system to use the English language and English
  formats, but I do want it to adhere to my local custom of displaying
  the 24-hour clock.

  Until recently this worked automatically, but now I have to manually
  set LC_TIME to ``C.UTF-8`` to get the desired effect.

  While this may have been my responsibility all along the behavior did
  change recently.