  Architecture: i386
  Date: Thu Dec 22 14:43:33 2011
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386 (20110427.1)
  SourcePackage: lightdm
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2011-12-16 (6 days ago)

** Description changed:

  Since some days lightdm fails to come up again after logging out of
  Unity.

  I get thrown at VT7 with its startup messages, and when trying to
  restart the lightdm service, eventually the following shows up in
  /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

      Cannot open virtual console 7 (Input/output error)

  Using GDM instead of Lightdm, "Log out" fails in the same manner, but I
  can restart gdm to get back at the login screen.

  There appears to be something broken in the logout or respawn process
- that gdm can handle (better), while lightdm cannot.
+ that gdm can handle (better), but lightdm cannot (even when being
+ restarted).

  Package: lightdm 1.0.6-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-6.12-generic-pae 3.2.0-rc6
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-6-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 1.90-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386 (20110427.1)
  SourcePackage: lightdm
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2011-12-16 (6 days ago)

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  lightdm fails to restart after logout: Cannot open virtual console 7
  (Input/output error)

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu: